Holiday Spirit | Chocolate dessert with a surprise inside
I don’t know how about you, but I’m already fully into the Holiday Spirit! Halloween passed, Thanksgiving is just out of the door, and Christmas is in the air!
Being under influence of this strong Holiday Spirit presence, I’ve decided to cook something that falls right in between the feeling of all those holidays. And as a bonus, also practice my chocolate skills.
Today we’ll be making a holiday chocolate dessert with a surprise inside. More than that, we’ll make 3 different variations of this dessert: using classical bonbon making technique, molecular cuisine direct spherification, edible gold spraying, and more.
So, get out your pumpkin spice lattes & warm socks, and enjoy this new recipe✌🏻
You can watch the full video of me making this Holiday Spirit Chocolate dessert here
Part 1 - Pumpkin stem & shell
- 250g Dark chocolate
- 250g White chocolate
- 1/4 tsp edible blue colourant
Ingredients, you’ll need
- Melt a little bit of the dark chocolate and temper using seeding method.
- Use a pipette or a syringe to pipe out small amounts of dark chocolate into the pumpkin stem cavity inside the molds.
- Put the molds in the fridge to set the stems.
- Meanwhile, melt more dark chocolate, temper with seeding method.
- Take a separate bowl, add blue colourant and 1 tbsp of melted chocolate, mix. Add more chocolate and mix again. Repeat the process until all the chocolate is mixed and darker in colour.
- In a separate bowl melt & temper the white chocolate.
- Take out the molds.
- Use piping bags to fill up 1 mold with dark chocolate and 2 molds with while chocolate. All the way to the top.
- Turn the molds with chocolate upside-down and let most of the chocolate to get out. Don’t worry, some chocolate will remain inside, covering the inner sides.
- Put the molds back to the fridge to set the chocolate.
Part 2 - Pink gooey filling
- 100g White chocolate
- 70g Milk
- 1/4 tsp edible pink colourant
- Melt the white chocolate on a double boiler.
- Warm up the milk.
- Mix milk with pink colourant.
- Mix pink milk with melted chocolate.
- Use a piping back to pipe the gooey pink chocolate inside one of the molds with white chocolate shell. Don’t pipe all the way to the top. Leave about 0.5 cm off the top.
- Put this mold to the freezer and let it completely freeze.
- Take it out of the freeze, pipe in more melted and tempered while chocolate to seal the top.
- Let it set in the fridge. Unmold.
Part 3 - Vegan caviar | Cranberry pumpkin spice pearls
- 200g Cranberries
- 1tsp Cinnamon powder
- 1tsp Allspice powder
- 1 tsp Nutmeg powder
- Agar Agar powder
- 1L Veg. oil (ice cold)
- Juice the cranberries and strain through a cheesecloth.
- Mix the cranberry juice with pumpkin spice mix.
- Measure the liquid amount and mix with 1% Agar Agar.
- Use a pipette to pipe small amounts of cranberry Agar mix into the ice-cold oil.
- Oil will help to encapsulate the vegan caviar drops and cool them down immediately.
- Drain the caviar and transfer to the pumpkin mold with dark chocolate shell.
- Pour over a little more dark chocolate to seal the pumpkin at the bottom.
- Let set in the fridge and unmold.
Part 4 - Holiday Spirit chocolate pumpkins assembly
- Fill up the last mold with silver chocolate balls (you can buy them from the food store; look in the confectionary/baking section), and seal with white chocolate as others.
- Onmold carefully all the molds.
- Spray one of the white pumpkins with edible gold.
- Use a sponge to decorate a dark chocolate pumpkin with powdered gold.
- Let the white chocolate pumkin with gooey pink madness inside defrost in the fridge for 1 hours.
- Enjoy your Holiday Spirit Chocolate dessert with surprise inside!
Tools, you might need for this recipe
**Images below are linked to third party websites, such as Amazon. Should you chose to purchase any of those items there, Chef Rudakova will receive a small commission (at no extra cost to you).