Do you think there might be a different way to make homemade Tofu? A better way, perhaps?… When most people think of Tofu varieties, they think of what they can do with it AFTER it’s already been prepared: fermented tofu, deep-fried tofu, marinated tofu and so on… but you know, Tofu doesn’t grow on trees, right?…One needs to cook it BEFORE you can ferment, marinate and do whatever you want with it… So why not prepare a homemade silken Tofu in a different way in first place?…
So, that’s a food for thought for now. Expect more videos on the topic of Tofu and different ways to make it at home or in the restaurant.
For now though, check out another way to look at Tofu. In this video, we’ll make it with a couple of the molecular gastronomy ingredients, Kappa Carrageenan and Iota Carrageenan, instead of more widely used in Tofu making, Nigari or Gypsum.
You can watch the full video of me making Martian Tofu here
Why? Because, firstly, why not? Secondly, to learn more about these 2 (not so famous) molecular cuisine ingredients, and know what they can do to texture in food making. And, thirdly, if you can’t find Nigari, you’ll always know what to use instead.
There’s always more than 1 way to get things done, don’t follow the “rules” just because “it was always done this way”.
Martian Tofu (Molecular Cuisine)
- 200g dry Soy beans
- 1L Water
- Kappa Carrageenan (0.1% of the final Soy milk weight)
- Iota Carrageenan (0.2% of the final Soy milk weight)
- 100g Isomalt
- 10g white Sesame seeds
- 10g black Cumin seeds
- 10g Chives
- 7g Soy sauce
- 7g Chili infused oil
- 2g Seseme oil
Ingredients, you’ll need
- Prepare homemade. Soak soy beans overnight and drain thoroughly the next day.
- Blend soaked soy beans with 1L water. Use a powerful blender and take your time.
- Strain the homemade soy milk through a cheesecloth. Keep the milk.
- Bring the raw soy milk to simmer and cook for 10-15 min. Cool down.
- Measure the final weight of the milk and blend it with Kappa Carrageenan and Iota Carrageenan.
- Set up a double boiler and bring the internal temperature of the milk to 185F or 85C to hydrate the Carrageenans.
- Transfer the milk to molds of your choice and set at room temperature for about 30 min (you can put them in the fridge to make it faster).
- Meanwhile, you can make an Isomalt dome (check out my Isomalt video to learn more about this ingredient).
- Sprinkle it with cumin and sesame seeds, while it’s still sticky.
- Unmold the tofu, decorate it with the Isomalt dome and twisted chives, and pour over soy sauce, sesame oil and chili infused oil.
- Enjoy this Martian Tofu, a la Molecular Cuisine way.
Tools & Ingredients, you might need for this recipe
**Images below are linked to third party websites, such as Amazon. Should you chose to purchase any of those items there, Chef Rudakova will receive a small commission (at no extra cost to you).
You can watch more of my cooking videos on my
Modern gastronomy, vegan recipes, recreation of famous dishes and much more