This Royal Egg video recipe is my take on the famous Royal Egg from the Cook Up A Storm movie. Just to make it more fun and challenging, my version is savoury and vegan.
And yes, it’s gonna be the BEST, the most DELICIOUS and LEGIT vegan egg that you’ve ever tried!
You can watch the full video of me making Vegan ROYAL EGG here
Part 1 - Vegan Egg Yolk
- 2 Yellow Bell Peppers
- Garlic infused oil (to taste)
- Salt (to taste)
- 1 tbsp Miso paste
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp MSG (optional)
- Vegan cream (to taste)
- 3% (of the total final puree weight) Calcium Lactate
- 1L water
- 5g Sodium Alginate
Ingredients, you’ll need
- Quarter the bell peppers, mix with oil and salt and roast uncovered in an oven at 425F / 220C for 40 min.
- Transfer the roasted peppers in a bowl, cover with a plastic wrap (airtight) and cool down for a few minutes. This will make the peeling process way easier.
- Peel the peppers, discard the skins.
- Purée the peppers with some Miso, Turmeric and MSG (optional), add some vegan cream to achieve the desired consistency and pass through a fine strainer.
- Measure the weight of the final egg yolk puree base in grams.
- Blend in 3% (of the final puree weight) of Calcium Lactate. E.g. If you final puree was 100g in weight, you’ll need 3g of Calcium Lactate.
- Set the puree aside.
- Meanwhile, blend together 1L Water and Sodium Alginate. Pour the mix in a shallow container, let it rest.
- Prepare 2 more containers with water.
- Spherify the egg yolks, using the reverse spherification method, by pouring the puree in a Sodium Alginate bath, and then transferring it to a water bath for cleaning and to a 2nd water bath for keeping purposes.
Part 2 - Vegan Royal Egg white
- 200g dry Soy beans
- 1L Water
- 1/4 tsp Nigari (1 tsp Water additionally)
- Soak dry Soy beans in water overnight and strain thoroughy.
- Blend the beans with 1L water. Use a powerful blender for that and take your time.
- Strain the soy milk through a cheesecloth, discard the soy puree.
- Pour the soy milk in a pot, bring to boil and simmer for 10-15 min.
- Strain one more time if necessary, and cool it down to room temperature.
- Mix your Nigari with 1 tsp Water and whisk this coagulating mixture into your homemade soy milk. Make sure it’s completely dissolved.
- Pour the tofu mix into egg molds.
- Put the spherified egg yolk in as well, and steam for 13-15 min.
- Cool down at room temperature or in the fridge.
Part 3 - Royal Egg glaze
- 200g Water
- 20g Beet juice
- 75g Sugar
- 20g Miso paste
- 30g Syrup (any you like)
- 1.5tsp Ginger powder
- 1 Star Anise
- 1% Agar Agar
- 50g Vegan butter
- Mix Water, Beet juice, Sugar, Syrup, Miso paste, Ginger powder and Star Anise.
- Bring to boil and simmer for 5 min. Strain.
- Measure the final weight of the mixture and whisk in 1% Agar Agar. E.g. if you final mixture is 100g, you’ll need 1g of Agar Agar.
- Bring the mix to boil and simmer for 1-2 min.
- Take it off the heat and whisk in cubed vegan butter (cube by cube), for extra gloss.
Part 4 - Royal Egg assembly
- Untold the vegan Royal egg.
- Pour the glaze on top.