It turns out Meringues are such a cool thing to play and create with in food! In this post I’ll share with you a quick and easy recipe of making colorful meringue shards.
However, this same recipe can be used to make numerous other cool things with a meringue base, like meringue sticks, a.k.a. batons, or even whole edible meringue paintings.
You can watch the full video of me making Potato Ice Cream, decorated with Meringue Shards here
Meringue shards recipe
- 3 egg whites
- 200g Icing sugar
- 1/4 tsp Cream of TarTar
- Rum extract
- Food colourant of your choice
Ingredients, you’ll need
- Bring eggs whites to room temperature and start whipping on medium (going to high) speed.
- Once you get some foam forming, add in all the icing sugar at once (stop the mixer for that 🙂 ), Cream of TarTar and Rum.
- Mix at high speed to firm / stiff peaks.
- Stop the mixer divide the meringue base into as many parts, as colors you wish to have.
- Add in the food colourant/s and mix with a spatula, until the colour is evenly distributed.
- Take a large baking tray, lined with parchment paper. Spread one meringue base and even it out with an offset spatula.
- Add in drops of splashes (get creative, do whatever you want at this point) of meringues of other colours and create the texture and pattern with the same offset spatula or regular spatula or even your fingers (clean, of course…).
- Once you get the right picture, ether leave it like this, or (as I did) circe out the meringues using a round mold and something to remove extra meringue around the mold and really separate the meringue shard from the rest fo the meringue.
- Bake at 100-110C / 210-230F for 30-40 min.
Tools, you might need for this recipe
**Images below are linked to third party websites, such as Amazon. Should you chose to purchase any of those items there, Chef Rudakova will receive a small commission (at no extra cost to you).