Carob glazed vegetable Yakitori, Bechamel & burned pepper purée
You probably think it’s an egg yolk and a glazed pork belly Yakitori.
Well… it’s not. It’s actually just vegetables.
Let me explain.
This dish was inspired by 2021 S.Pellegrino Young Chefs competition, where the winner presented a totally vegetable focused dish.
It’s about time, right?
You can watch the full video of me making vegetable Yakitori here
Part 1 - Vegan yolk
- 2 Orange bell peppers
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp MSG
- Calcium Lactate (3% of the final puree volume)
- 1g Sodium Alginate
- 200g Water
Ingredients, you’ll need
- Burn bell peppers on open fire.
- Peel the skin off and remove seeds. Discard.
- Use the hand blender to puree the burned bell peppers flash.
- Add in Turmeric powder and MSG and puree to smooth consistency.
- Measure the final puree amount, add in Calcium Lactate and blend for another 1-2 minutes.
- Use a piping bag or a basting syringe to transfer the puree into half-circle shaped silicon molds. Freeze.
- Meanwhile, prepare a Sodium Alginate bath by blending Sodium Alginate into water and letting it rest for 5-10 min.
- Prepare 2 more clear water baths.
- Perform reverse spherification by placing the frozen pepper puree into the Sodium Alginate bath.
- Transfer the spherified vegan yolk into a water bath to clean off any extra Sodium Alginate and finally transfer to the final water bath for keeping purposes.
Part 2 - Plant-based Bechamel sauce
- 1L unsweetened Plant-based milk of your choice
- 1 Onion
- 4 Cloves
- 2 Bay leafs
- 30g AP flour
- 30g Vegetable oil
- Infuse milk with onion, cloves and bay leafs and strain through a cheesecloth.
- Make a white roux with flour and oil.
- Incorporate infused milk into the roux 1 ladle at a time.
- Simmer for about 20 min, until the Nappe consistency.
- Strain through the cheese cloth again and season.
Part 3 - Vegetable Yakitori
- small Pumpkin
- Large carrots
- Large parsnip
- 30g Carob syrup
- 30g Scotch
- 50g Brown sugar
- 50g Dark miso paste
- 20g Soy sauce
- 100g Water
- 10g Mustard
- 3 large fresh Rosemary sprig
- Burn the above vegetables (or other vegetables of your choice) on open fire.
- Remove the burned skins and seeds. Discard them.
- Cut the vegetables into precise and equal size rectangles.
- Blend all the other ingredients (except for Rosemary).
- Put a frying pan on heat, pour in the carob glaze liquid.
- When the glaze gets hot, add in 1 sprig of Rosemary, carrots and parsnips (the harder vegetables).
- Cook and baste vegetables, until they are nearly done.
- Add in the pumpkin cuts. Repeat the procedure until all the veggies are done.
- Remove the glazed veggies from the pan.
- Plant the charred and glazed vegetables on 2 fresh Rosemary sprigs.
- Vegetable Yakitori is ready.
Part 4 - Vegetable Yakitory assembly
- Pour 2 tbsp plant-based Bechamel sauce on a warm plate.
- Place a vegan egg yolk inside the Bechamel sauce.
- Place the vegetable Yakitory on the side of the vegan “fried eggs”, a.k.a. Bechamel sauce and charred bell pepper puree.
Tools, you might need for this recipe
**Images below are linked to third party websites, such as Amazon. Should you chose to purchase any of those items there, Chef Rudakova will receive a small commission (at no extra cost to you).