Sous Vide Potato plating
This Sous Vide Potato recipe is part of my online Food Plating 101 class, where I explain the rules of food plating and show how to creatively plate any kind of dish on the example of 3 courses. Sous Vide Potato plating is the 2nd main course.
As I explain to my students recipes are not the main focus of this food plating class, and in fact I encourage everyone to challenge themselves to plate their favourite dishes in a new creative way. However, if you are curious about the recipe of this sous vide potato, check it out below. It is very simple indeed, proving the point that even the simplest of foods could be presented in a beautiful elegant way.
Part 1 - Sous Vide potato
- 1 large potato
- 40g Butter
- 2g salt
Ingredients, you’ll need
- Set the Sous Vide temperature to 190F.
- Make small unnoticeable insertions in the potato.
- Plate the potato in the vacuum bag, add in the butter and salt, vacuum seal the bag.
- Please the bag inside the Sous Vide water bath and cook for 1.5-2 hours (depending on the actual potato size), until the potato is fully cooked.
Part 2 - Vegan caviar
- 1L ice-cold vegetable oil
- 100g fresh tomato puree
- 1g Agar Agar
- 1g Salt
- Pass the tomato puree through the sieve. Make sure it’s thin and without chunks.
- Place the tomato puree in a blender, add in salt and agar agar, blend for 1 min.
- Pour the mix into a small pot, bring to boil while continuously whisking.
- Let the mix cool down a little bit, while whisking.
- Use a pipette to drop small drops of tomato puree into the ice-cold oil. Tomato droplets will spherify and solidify immediately.
- Pass the oil through a sieve. Reserve the vegan tomato caviar for plating.
Part 3 - Sour cream sauce
- 100g Heavy cream
- 100g Parmesan cheese
- 200g Sour cream
- Take a small pot, pour the heavy cream inside.
- Add in the finely grated parmesan (use a Microplane rasp for the best results).
- Mix, bring to boil and let the mix simmer for about 10-15 min.
- Strain the mixture and serve the parm infused heavy cream.
- Mix the parm infused heavy cream with sour cream, and transfer the end mixture to a culinary siphon.
- Charge the siphon with 1 N2O cartridge and let it cool down in the fridge for 30 min.
Part 4 - Sous Vide Potato plating
- For the Sous Vide Potato plating, take a large white or beige plate.
- Remove a warm potato out of the vacuum Sous Vide bag.
- Cut off about 1 cm from both sides of the potato. Place it just off the centre of the plate.
- Disperse some of the parm sour cream foam to a small bowl. Use a spoon to plate the foam on both sides of the potato and on top of the potato.
- Place a tbsp of tomato vegan caviar in top of the potato.